Friday, April 3, 2009

I feel led ..

Okay. That is a bad attention grabber. I have heard that a lot over the years and I bet I have said it a few times as well.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8 (New Living Translation)

I have been thinking a lot lately on the role of the Holy Spirit in our mission endeavors.
Several things have probably stirred this up a bit for me. Maybe I will get to that later on in another post. But I need to start here.

We talk a lot about being a church that is in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the utter most parts. Some churches use that as their strategy plan for missions. But that is not my point either in this. The part that I some times leave out is the role of the Holy Spirit in mission.

As believers we have the Holy Spirit living in us.
What does the Holy Spirit do in the life of a follower of Jesus Christ?
convicts us of sin
comforts us
gives us hope
gives us boldness
and gives us direction.

These are all significant but it is the direction part that is extremely vital in mission.
“As we Go” (sidenote: This is the title of my book that I have been writing for a year but cannot seem to complete) about fulfilling the Great Commission we have the promise of the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and direct us in the church. This is pretty cool.

More soon….

No comments: