Friday, September 25, 2009

The Temple



When I visited the temple today I saw many rooms with gods in them.

We heard this from a worker here.
“People become what they worship.”

When I saw the gods on the altars here it was very apparent that people worship idols. As you walk down the streets you will see many of the buildings that will have one room or apartment that is open on the outside and that is the place dedicated for the god of that building or the small temple for that building.

You can get a picture of what these verses are referring about as you live and observe people in cultures similar to this one.

Psalm 15
1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us 
but to your name be the glory, 
 because of your love and faithfulness.
2 Why do the nations say, 
"Where is their God?"
3 Our God is in heaven; 
he does whatever pleases him.
4 But their idols are silver and gold, 
 made by the hands of men.
5 They have mouths, but cannot speak, 
eyes, but they cannot see;
6 they have ears, but cannot hear, 
noses, but they cannot smell;
7 they have hands, but cannot feel, 
feet, but they cannot walk; 
nor can they utter a sound with their throats.
8 Those who make them will be like them, 
and so will all who trust in them.

However, while very apparent that many worship objects made with hands here I think about the idols that we often worship where I live in Europe or in the states. I think about how we can have as our idols our jobs, companies, possessions, family and many more.

What do we become?

Anything that takes first place instead of our Lord becomes an idol. The obvious idols here helped me to recognize some more hidden ones in my life where I live. I think of Matthew 6:33 and give a honest look at what do I seek first?

2 comments:

tto said...

The series you are doing on your trip is fantastic. Very challenging thoughts today; indeed, it is very easy for me to "become" my job or things. Thanks.

Trey

Kyle Goen said...

It can be easy to let the "ministry" that God has given to you become an idol. One day you look up and the "ministry" has become the "end" and no longer is the "means." Whether that is Bangkok, Belgium, Germany, Hong Kong....I think you get the point.