Friday, May 8, 2009

Speak Out!

One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, “Don’t be afraid! Speak out! Don’t be silent! For I am with you, and no one will attack and harm you, for many people in this city belong to me.” So Paul stayed there for the next year and a half, teaching the word of God.
Acts 18:9-11

Impressions, Visions, Stirrings, Leadings
All of these words are used as we describe how the Holy Spirit speaks to us.
I am often reminded of Henry Blackaby’s Experiencing God and I am forever grateful for his teaching.

He talks about how we can determine God’s will. Do you remember those?
Through scripture
Through prayer
Through experiences/circumstances
and through the counsel of friends.

I know myself that I sometimes go for the quick fix and seek counsel of others or my circumstances to determine the direction of the Lord. But I believe that as we consistently seek the Lord though prayer and the scriptures that we will understand his will for us. I believe this applies to all areas of our life.

In this case its seems that Paul needed a word from the Lord about his preaching and teaching there in Corinth. He needed reassurance. He needed a shot of boldness. This vision that Paul had here evidently led him to stay for some time to teach in this new church.

No comments: