Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prague

This past week I found myself in another city in Europe. I know I say that about most cities I visit here but Europe is full of fascinating cities, full of history and tradition yet with a common element: needing the gospel in a personal and relevant way. Prague was no different for me.

I was able to see the famous Charles Bridge. This is where the important historical event of Mission Impossible was filmed with Tom Cruise. Okay maybe not “historical” but there are plenty of people crossing that bridge and thinking of Tom Cruise at the same time.

It is also a city where communism fell as a result of the Velvet Revolution.
As a result it seems that capitalism and tourism came sweeping into Prague.
People tell me it is a city where Atheism is high. The culture leaped into post modernity. I read this article about religion in Prague. Interesting read and sparked my interest when it discusses a Spanish Jewish migration into the city in 1492.

The city is also famous for John Huss who was the famous reformer from Prague. You can see his statue in the Old Town. You can read a short article about him here.

There are people here who are trying to make a difference. They are living in Prague in an incarnational way. They are being salt and light in a city of need. Pray for these workers and if you have an interest in helping out here shoot me an email? larry@theupstreamcollective.org

No comments: