Friday, October 30, 2009

Culture



I know I am in the middle of my "Church Learning a Foreign Language" series. I have my next post ready for Monday and it is full of some great links and ideas from a person who is a language coach for overseas workers here in Europe.

Learning language is important. However, another aspect of living overseas is being able to adapt to the culture. I have seen people who have done well in learning a second language really struggle in adapting to another culture.

Last night we went to Herbstmesse in Basel.
It is quite a BIG event. I read where it has been going on for almost 500 years. It is like going to a county fair but in an urban setting and it is totally spread out all over the city. I love the giant Ferris Wheel in front of the church. It is quite fun. I did not see the livestock or petting zoo. I did not see the "Fairest of the Fair" contest. I doubt they have one. However, there are a lot of food options. Check out this link.

But it is an important part of the city life in Basel during this time of the year. It is an important cultural event. We have been every year that we have lived here and love it. I must admit it costs quite a bit per ride (the exchange rate is not friendly to us right now) so we do not do many rides but the kids love it and it is chance to hang with their friends and a chance for us to try some yummy food.

What are the events you should go to in your city? How important is your presence there?
What do you learn about the people when you go to these festivals.?

Can learning be fun? I think so.

2 comments:

Janet @Gourmet Traveller 88 said...

Thanks for the link back. i have moved to Basel for 4 years but learning German here is very difficult. I do speak some french so there is a fall back scenario for me. As for livestock in the Herbstmesse, you can find them in Peterplatz in the centre of the fair, there are some ponies. I am enjoying the fair this year more as the weather is drier than last year.
Have you seen the Basel Rheinswim, it's another very special annual event. I also like Art Basel, a must visit cultural event here.

Larry said...

Thanks. I enjoyed your photos and blog. We love this area. It is a cool part of the world. We have only been here a couple of years. We have not been to ArtBasel. It sounds fun. Good hearing from you.